RE: quiet cpu fan (extreme)

Gary,

The Pabst brand was my first choice, until I discovered Noiseblocker.  The slow RPM model of the Pabst at 12dB is extremely quiet and good for case cooling. But that speed would be too weak to force sufficient air through a heatsink.  The faster Pabst fans are stronger, but reportedly noisier than their specs suggest. A review I read on one German website stated only the Noiseblocker's specs test to be as good as advertised (or something like that.)

Ultimately, what matters to me is how well a fan, at a particular noise level, can cool a CPU.  Cooling requires forcing air through a heatsink, which means the fan needs to create high static pressure.  Some manufacturers publish that information (Pabst does) and some don't.  So the only real way to know is to buy a bunch and test them out on the heatsink at hand and record the CPU temp.

I just bought a Vantec 80mm Stealth Ultra Quiet. Will also get the Pabst 8412N/2GM and Titan TFD-8025H12B.  These three and the Noiseblocker should be enough. (I hope)

Regards,
Mark Jurik