RE: quiet cpu fan (extreme)

Good to know. I'm uncertain though, as to the required capacity of an HSF (in
CFM). For example, in this review
http://www.myworld.com.my/review/hsf/coolermaster/5.html
of Coolmaster heat sinks, three different fan configurations are shown, and the
(60 cm) fans are shown with a range of 13-21 cfm. At about 20cfm, the slow
speed Pabst falls right in the range. The noise range shown was 33-37 db; at 12
db the Pabst is about 4x quieter.
Those tests were performed on an Athlon 850Mhz CPU; mileage would vary, but it
wouldn't suprise me to find that a 20 cfm 80 cm HSF works fine (or at least
okay) with an Athlon XP cpu.

> Ultimately, what matters to me is how well a fan, at a particular
> noise level, can cool a CPU.  Cooling requires forcing air through a
> heatsink, which means the fan needs to create high static pressure.
> Some manufacturers publish that information (Pabst does) and some
> don't.  So the only real way to know is to buy a bunch and test them
> out on the heatsink at hand and record the CPU temp.

Agreed. I look forward to hearing what you find out.

thanks - Gary