Re[4]: The Usual Suspects - Violence is the litmus test for the first amendment

On Saturday, September 15, 2001, 9:20:07 AM, Ullrich Fischer wrote:

UF> All three prevailed with the support of the majority of their
UF> nations' populations at the time.  Maybe  that is the key.

An important point, IMHO. If the majority of a well-informed,
free-to-choose-leaders populace supports a leader and/or position, we
need to listen to that very carefully. I'd be hard pressed to consider
such a person a terrorist.

UF> The Taliban prevailed in Afghanistan with massive  violence
UF> against their own population and with minimal popular support (but
UF> ironically, with considerable logistical support from the US --
UF> which was  not above supporting terrorists at the time as long as
UF> the terrorism was  believed to be anti-communist).

Much as we hate to do it, it is neccessary to admit the US role in
causing the problem. I would hope we learn from this, but I'd bet we
won't.

UF> Maybe the other side of your posting, ztrader, is that  there are
UF> good and bad terrorists and the understandable desire for
UF> vengeance occasioned by this latest outrage should be specifically
UF> directed  against its authors and their supporters, in other
UF> words, radical  islam.

It would seem that radical XXXX, where XXXX is anything, is the cause
of many of our problems. The abortion proponents are killing doctors,
for example - this kind of thing happens to certain subsets of 'True
Believers', no matter what they believe in.

UF> Maybe the next time the US gives weapons to "freedom fighters"
UF> they  will be smart weapons that can be made to explode by remote
UF> control in case  the "freedom fighters" turn out to be bad
UF> terrorists.

I'm afraid the first thing they would want to know is how to turn that
off. :-)

ztrader