Re: Ned Davis book-Being right or making money

Hello Snosnosnow,

I read and enjoyed it but I can't say it changed by trading style.
However, I'm much too short term for what Ned has to offer.--which is
considerable.

There are many charts showing relationships between a number of
variables and the stock indices--PE, cash flow, dividends, trade
deficit, fed policy etc.  Also breadth, sentiment, investor liquidity,
mut fund money flows.  There are chapters on contrary opinion analysis
and bond models.

Then he (and his associates) go into model building from such
technical, econ, sentiment, monetary factors.  One interesting
chapter is by Tim Hayes (who apparently has abook called the Research
Driven Investor, McGraw-Hill, 2000, that details the model building
process.

 As you would expect the whole book is reminiscent of Marty Zweig's
Winning on Wall Street.   They were/are collaborators.  The Davis book
provides much more data and charts and of course is 15 years more up
to date in terms of data series.

While I'm at it, let me direct you to Mark Boucher's The Hedge Fund
Edge.  He also provides data on the efficacy of similar variables in
predicting stock market returns.  Also, Ken Fisher's Wall Street
Waltz.

Best regards,
 Jim Johnson

--