From: Jim Bronke [mailto:jvbronke@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2001 9:56 PM
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: HD access times

Recently a list member turned others on to a Disk Benchmark utility that
measured read and write access times to your hard drives(freeware). He was
excited because he had seen great improvments to his ATA33 bus system when
he installed the patch that MS has on their website that fixed a Win2000
problem with the ATA100 bus running much slower. Since I am running Win2000
I checked it out. Much to my surprise my HD read and especially write speeds
were very slow. 5000 Kbytes/sec. I checked my Win 98 DMA66(max) system and
found it to be twice that. I did an install of Win2000SP2, no change.
Uninstalled it and just installed the hotfix-no change. Installed the latest
BIOS 11/17/00 for the DBL100-no change(that's my motherboard). Double
checked that the ATA100 fix is indeed in SP2 and it is. Checked the ATA
drivers in the Device Mgr for updates and there was none that appeared to
offer anything new. It appears that MS still has a problem with the Win2000
OS with regard to this R/W access speed. maybe someone else can study this
on their machines. I have seen posts where even Win95 systems had better
access times. Interesting.

Jim Bronke
Phoenix, AZ