Re: HD access times

> Your Welcome Bill.
> Thanks goes to Bill Wynne for getting this thread started. It alerted me
> the weakness that had existed in Win2000. I've just received a response to
> query to my motherboard manufacture(IWill) and find out that it has a BX
> chipset which only supports ATA33. Seems that you have to read between the
> lines when you buy these boards. They talk about their components like
they
> are the latest and greatest but then you find out they are not. I'm going
> try to add an add on IDE driver board that will get the job done.

It does not matter much if the board is ATA 33 or 66. The main problem is
getting your disk to be read is UDMA rather than PIO
My original tests are below and I was at a loss to figure out why the P700
was so slow

I tested the following on a number of systems
 Read  & write mode mode: 65536 blocks - Test file size: 10Mb
CPU         Op Sys   ATA    read    write
P500        Win2000    66     19284 13281
P700       NTSP6     66       3385   2662
P400       Win98SE  33      5234   5389
P350       Win98SE  Old     5130   4980
P333       NTSP6      33      3256    2228

Here are the new results on the P700 changing to UDMA
P700       NT SP6     66     10882   9650
This is greater than a 220% improvement
Thanks to Bob Perry
I found the following site that was useful
http://www.benchtest.com/nt_udma1.html
It is not just the improved I/O but the reduction on CPU utilization
Thanks to all that got me started on this track - it has made a big
improvemnt.