Re: the ideal computer for tradestation...

>>thanks, i would like to hear the results.

System upgrades:

Asus P4T motherboard w/ Intel 850 chipset             185
Intel 1.5GHz P4 processor                             345
3dfxcool T4-REX fan and heatsink                       22
512Mb Samsung PC-800 ECC RDRAM                        521
Enermax 350w ATX power supply v2.03                    58
Asus V7700 64Mb GeForce2 GTS Pure AGP4 video card     239

Total expenditure $1,370

It does make a difference. I am now able to draw, delete, and move objects
such as trend lines, arrows, and horizontal lines, at the open. Typing
almost keeps up, even at the open. Percent processor time still spikes to
100% occasionally, but averages 58% at the open, drops to average 26%
during the day, and less. The GeForce2 took care of most screen flicker and
jump when switching between workspaces (upgraded from Matrox G400).

Overall, I consider this a worthwhile upgrade. TS2Ki is poorly written
software and shouldn't require this kind of horsepower, but, what the heck,
at least the stupid thing doesn't slow to a crawl anymore in fast mkts. If
you must use TS2Ki, throw as much hardware at it as you can afford.

I did the upgrade in stages to see how each new component changed the
system. I feel the processor, the amount of system RAM, and the type of
video card and amount of it's RAM, definitely all made a difference.
Pretend you are building the mother of all game machines and you won't go
wrong, just guard the machine carefully so your kid doesn't steal it.

The biggest problem I had with the upgrade was installing the drivers for
the PCI bridge and the Bus Master IDE drivers. Win2k wouldn't boot with the
old board's drivers, so Win2k had to be re-installed.

The speed difference isn't as noticeable going from PIII to P4 as it was
moving from PII to PIII, for most applications. But for resource hogs like
TS2Ki, it makes a profound difference.

Win2k sp1, TS2Ki sp5, dedicated machine