Re: Omega or Traderware???

Kent;

Just like my favorite sergeant from Hill Street Blues, you are correct.  Lets
be careful out there.  Right now I am representing no one but myself.  I am
spending some time discussing this issue with you all and some others.  What
might come from that might have nothing to do with Traderware and all to do
with the relationships made and the trust and ability to share information in
an honest exchange.

There is a book that I read named "The Innovator's Dilemma."  It is about why
some very good companies fail, despite having excellent customer focused
traditional management styles.  What they don't see coming is the disruptive
technology and how that is going to affect them.  This is an excellent book
and I highly recommend it.  Carl Christensen is the author.

The open source approach is a very disruptive technology to existing software
developers.  The people doing this will get better and better at what they do
and how they do it.  As they get better they will be able to attack more and
more types of software, IMHO.

One of the key elements of the book is that sometimes companies make products
that they don't have customers for yet.  They go out and find people who can
find a use for this technology.  One of the examples in the book is the disk
drive industry.  The major main frame computer companies did not need smaller
slower disk drives.  So the guys who developed this started their own company
and went out and sought a market.  The yet to be launched Personal Computer
sector was one market segment built with from this.  These disk makers then
improved the speed and performance of their products are were able to attack
the higher margins of the main frame computer companies products. The rest is
history.

I appreciate your wise words and am taking heed.  If there was a market
niche, either in trading or some other arena for Traderware, that could lead
to some good things for us in trading down the road.  Or, maybe this is just
some an exercise that will lead to something else.  Thanks again for the
input and your kind words.

Regards,

John J. Lothian

Disclosure: Futures trading involves financial risk, lots of it!

In a message dated 3/25/01 1:00:02 AM Central Standard Time,