Re: Omega or Traderware???

John J. Lothian <I4Lothian@xxxxxxx> writes:
>If parties on this list were interested in buying a trading platform company,
>you should be considering Traderware as well.
>This post is about an analytical trading tool that is out there looking for a
>champion.  Is this an opportunity?  Would turning Traderware into an Open
>Source project be something to consider?

In theory, an open-source trading platform is very appealing---at least if
the company goes belly up, you've got the source, and can carry on in
whatever manner makes sense, fixing things yourself or paying your local
hacker to do it for you.  The dream is always that other trader-hackers
will contribute to the overall product, and everyone will come away with
something more than they could have produced by themselves.

But it's hard to imagine getting the necessary enthusiasm for open source
without the product being available to the Linux community, which is
where most of the open-source action is these days.

As I understand the architecture of Traderware, it's strictly a
Microsoft product, tied to UMDS and Visual Basic.  So I think it's
not really a candidate for the open-source model.

I can believe the performance issues raised earlier in this thread.
A real-time trading platform is a demanding piece of software, and
most of the common GUI toolkits are not up to the job.  It sounds as
though TW needs a lot of work in its present state.  They say in
contemplating major software projects to plan on throwing one away.
Maybe that's the point TW has reached.

Interesting thread.  Please keep us posted as things develop.

Good luck,

Jim