Re: guaranteed 10%/month with little risk?

Yes, I'm very familiar with these schemes and so is the FBI. Their purported
income streams are from an MLM selling the offshore concept to others at
around $1500 and the opportunity to make 10%+++ a month. The MLM side of it
is the ONLY legal part. Having got you into the MLM side (and there's
absolutely nothing illegal about offshore accounts - if you declare the
income), they offer you the ability to make millions from your investments.
This is the highly illegal part. It's basically a ponzi scheme. Early
entrants are paid from the proceeds of those that follow. They'll use terms
like Bank Debentures and explain to you that it's only the super rich that
have access to these programs. The whole sales pitch is very convincing.
They'll even show you that your investment is guaranteed by someone like
IDIC (International Deposit Insurance Corporation - another scam).

The allure, of course, is greed and the ability to make all that money tax
free. The tax free bit is a sugar coating to the offshore pill, which is the
way that they avoid detection. Legally, the SEC won't allow them to market
any investments, so they do this from their offshore companies. As we all
know, secrecy laws abound in many offshore centres, so just try and find out
who's behind the scheme - not easy. And, once they've suckered you in,
they'll keep you quiet by threats that what you've been a part of is
illegal.

I could go on, but you might want to check a great site that has all sorts
of information on this and other schemes.
http://www.quatloos.com/newsltr/qnew0101.htm
The FBI site, of course, also has details.

As for your acquaintance, all that I can say is that many otherwise
intelligent people have fallen for these schemes. When late entrants to the
ponzi scheme start to sue him, I sure hope he has enough stashed away in his
offshore accounts to provide him with a comfortable life when he flees to
some Caribbean Island. It's Club Med if he can afford it, otherwise Club
Fed.

I did my due diligence - you should too.

Caveat emptor!

Andrew