Re: Proper use of futures contracts

> I would like to ask those that have been trading futures for a while
> the following:
>
> * how do you actually choose which contract to trade when you initiate
> a trade

Usually the one with the most volume. Unless you are going for a
very long term trade. Then something further out.

> * how do you handle the rollover of contracts

On daily data I use Genesis Data which has a 9967 contract that is
continuous for back testing.  On intraday I don't roll over contracts.
I just leave them running for several months before they become
the lead month.

> * how do you choose which contract feeds into your system to give you
> signals

That would be the contract you want to trade.  See first paragraph.
Usually the one with the most liquidity.

> * what sort of data do you test your system on (in Tradestation)

Usually the benchmark is to use enough data to give you 30
trades. If 30 trades tells you it won't work, then it won't work.
bob