Re: Java based SW

<x-flowed>
At 03:02 AM 9/7/2000 +0200, you wrote:

> [...]

Pierre, you're over abundance of kind words and optimism warms my heart
once again. ;^)

Some quotes that help me stay focused on the solution...

"Hey, maybe you're right.  What are you offering me?"

"I kept waiting for somebody to do something -- then I realized I am somebody."

"Dreamers: The dreamers are the architects of greatness.  They look beyond
the mist of doubt.  Dreamers hold to courage and to hope, because they know
that only cowardess and lack of faith can keep the dreamer from reaching
his goal.  But if his heart is strong and if he dreams enough, then he can
attain it -- no matter how many men have failed before."

A big task?  Sure.  One point you may have missed, though -- I'm not
attempting to build a general purpose, mass-marketed TS-replacement with a
built-in proprietary language.  All I'm shooting for right now is something
that will me our needs.  So far my progress is well ahead of schedule.

Can you imagine having a software package in which you can track down bugs
on your own, rather than firing off a bug report into the void?   Or fixing
that area of the interface that drives you nuts, but you know won't get
touched?  Or adding that feature that you know isn't complicated, but again
won't get done.  Nothing personal against Omega, they have a tough
job.  But now I'm within striking distance of an alternative and I'm going
to grab it.

The worst thing that could happen is, I get a bunch of Java experience and
I learn of bunch of invaluable lessons... ;^)  Beats getting fat on the
couch in front of the tv.

But I've developed enough software over the years to know what's reasonable.
david_wieringa@xxxxxxxx
Software Engineer (contractor)
Scottsdale, AZ / Grand Rapids, MI
</x-flowed>