Re: Ascii file handling program

Let's try this again.  One of the net backbones was down this
morning, and my messages kept bouncing.

> With most Ascii edititors "vi" included is they try to load the
> data on the your tty terminal. You will then get the error "file
> to large, loading partial file".

In one of my bounced messages I recommended Vim as another vi
alternative (see http://www.vim.org).  I just created a file in Vim
that was over 5 million lines long, containing over 200 megabytes.  I
won't claim it was FAST editing that file, but it worked!!  :-)

As Michael Suesserott said, Perl is also a possible alternative.
It's a full-fledged programming language that handles text very well.
It's probably overkill for most needs, though.

> A good alternative would be to use filters that directly work on
> the ascii file. As these are gnu tools they might also be
> available on the windows platform. Try using "grep, egrep, sed &
> awk" (Most come installed with all unix machines)

Yes, there are various packages of Unix tools available.  Some of
them come with Gnu (though some of them have different names than the
Unix originals, e.g. "gawk" instead of "awk"), and some are available
from other sources.  But unless you're really into arcane stuff, that
might be a little deep for most normal people!

Gary (who never claimed to be normal)