RE: DSL questions for users of 2 or more computers

Paula,

I have been running a single Bellsouth DSL here in Atlanta with 5 machines
on a home LAN for the past year with great performance and reliability.  The
speed is excellent, indeed better than the T1 supported LAN at the office.

Bellsouth sells only DHCP, that is the IP address changes at their whim, and
you only get one address. This is easily solved by getting an old machine to
use as a firewall, even a Pentium 100, and running Windows NT with a proxy
server such as Wingate or my preference, Sygate, ( available for ~ $40 at
www.sysgen.com) that will allow you to run multiple machines on the single
IP address.

Works like a charm.

A more elegant solution that I installed last month is to use a Windows 2000
server as the firewall with NAT (network address translation) that allows
you to do a few more cute things on the network.  I doubt you would need the
extra expense or functionality of a full Win2k server, though.

I used the Sygate firewall/proxy server for over a year with near perfect
reliability and functionality for what you want to do.

Hope this helps.

William M. McClatchey, MD
2724 Peachtree Road
Apt 1002