Re: http://www.de.credit-suisse.ch/views/index.html

Simon,

Your underlying premise is only partly true.  A U.S. Citizen (living in the
U.S.) can legally hold dual-citizenship only under certain circumstances--
such as a diplomatic reason, and a few other extenuating circumstances
which have to be approved by the govt.

It is true that people do this, but if you get caught, the penalty is
severe and you'll say goodbye to a few more zeroes.  There is a "grace
period" which allows you to formalize your foreign citizenship, but it's
short (I can't recall what it is), and you're technically in violation of
the law if you exceed it.  True, this is not a high-priority enforcement
issue, so you might get lucky.

One trick that people in this situation use, is to do something that causes
the U.S. to revoke their citizenship.  That way, its the govt. that is
doing the dirty deed, not you.  Sounds strange and radical, but it's
actually the best course of action for someone in this position.  Of
course, all of this presumes that you are not in violation of any U.S. laws
-- if you are, you would be in  proverbial deep sh** and probably receive
an invitation to spend some time at "The Club"

Anyone considering anything like this should do serious homework
first.  There is a narrow channel of legalities that must be carefully
navigated if you don't want to cause yourself unnecessary and irrevocable
hardships --