Re: Giving up US Citizenship enables 6 months visits perpetually?

Robert,

Of course, if you're a known tax fugitive or felon, you can't come back
under any circumstances without being arrested and imprisoned.  My comments
(about 180 days per year being allowed) were based on someone who willfully
gives up their citizenship AND is currently not wanted for --or convicted
of-- any law violation.  In order to do this properly and have the rights
that most foreigners have to visit the U.S., you would need to be square
with the IRS and the courts before you made your move.

If you are a U.S. expatriate and you violate the 180 day rule, you are
fined unless you can prove extenuating circumstances-- such as an illness
that caused you to be hospitalized, incapacitating accident, etc.  The real
killer if the 180 day rule is violated is that you immediately revert full
tax status for that year-- just as if you had lived in the U.S. for the
entire year.

For someone as flaky as TG, this probably wouldn't matter because she most
likely has no assets in the U.S. anyway -- for anyone with assets or cash
in the U.S. or any jurisdiction that has legal reciprocity, you would be
saying goodbye to a few zeroes of your net worth.

If any one is interested, check with the INS for details -- quite a few
people do this every year.