After Hours Trading

Hi All,
Thanks to everyone who responded to me wrt my last question about on-line
stock order execution services.  I found one I think I like and have been
using them for about two weeks.  My question now is about after hours stock
trading.  My broker does not offer this and I feel like I'm missing out.
Can someone explain what physically happens with an after hours trade (as
opposed to one done during market hours) and if anyone finds it beneficial
enough that I should consider switching to a different broker.

TIA,
Susan