Re: DTN Satellite / Serial Card Alternatives

Thanks to Bob Fulks for the recap of his previous posts on serial cards.

My initial concern about the Pacific CommWare TurboExpress Port 920 arose
from  reports that several users recently had trouble receiving tech support
on these cards in a timely manner.  I have no first hand experience in this
regard nor have I heard that the cards themselves have any problems after
being properly configured.

I then realized that the new Dell workstation I have on order (and many other
new boxes) support only PCI cards.  As the TurboExpress Port 920 is an ISA
card, it is not an option for me.

I am continuing to check out the Digi International card mentioned by DTN.
The AccelePort Xr 920  (2,4,  or 8 port models) uses an on board 32-bit RISC
processor with speeds up to 921.6 Kbs, 128 bytes of memory (FIFO?), Quad
UARTs and surge protection.  Win2000 drivers available.  The two port PCI,
Xr920 card is available on the net from CDW for $197.60.  More info at
www.digi.com and from Rob Slaughter, Digi Sales, 1-800-344-4273, ext. 5529.
No connection.

Still investigating. All inputs welcome.

Regards,
Jim Alvis