Re: Firewall protection using ZoneAlert vs WatchGuard

At 08:40 PM 3/14/00 -0800, simon32@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>What are the adv and disadv of using a program like ZoneAlert as opposed
>to a hardware firewall solution like Watch Guard SOHO?

Haven't used ZoneAlert or WatchGuard but I am a big fan of stand-alone,
single-purpose boxes. Back when I used ISDN, I used an external ISDN router
rather than an ISDN modem; this allowed me internet access from any
computer on my little SOHO LAN regardless of which other computer was booted.

Now that I'm on a T1 line, I'm using the same principle with a firewall. I
have a SonicWall, which seems similar to the WatchGuard (there wasn't much
choice a year ago). It just sits there and protects me.

Advantages
- single purpose software should be more reliable
   (the idea of adding layer after layer of
    software to a Windows system just doesn't
    work for long).
- serves many computers
- can do content blocking based on URL
- has blinking lights :-)

Disadvantages
- more expensive
- additional point of (hardware) failure
- takes up desk/shelf space

--
Dennis Nichols
nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx