Re: DLL's and the TS2000i API

At 04:18 PM 2/11/00 -0500, marQ wrote:
>There have been a few posts recently about custom programming with DLL's and
>the TS API (see Andrew Peskins post Multiple Intantiation Problems ...)
>
>Does anybody have any input regarding the TS2000i API for those of us who
>are only familiar with EL.  For example, how well is the API documented?
>How is the support from OR for the API?  What are the pitfalls, if any?

I've been using DLLs coded in VC++ for the last several months.

There is just enough API documentation to be very confusing.  I've been
developing software for 10+ years - although the last 5 have been
primarilly in C++ under various flavors of Unix.

Fortunately, someone in Developer Support was very good about answering my
questions (via email).  He usually responded within a day or two if I
recall.  It took me a couple of weeks (several emails back and forth) to
get all of the kinks worked out.  Now I have a framework that I develop in,
so I do very little of touching their API at this point.

Pitfalls I've found is that OR runs each of it's indicators/systems on a
chart one at a time when backtesting, so it's difficult to pass info
between them.  i.e.  if I want to use visual indicators to debug values
within a system coded in a DLL, I usually dump the system data to a log
file on disk and then after the system has computed, apply indicators that
display the results from disk.  This is a bit annoying from a user
interface perspective.

>I'm also interested in knowing how to coordinate the execution of a dll from
>within a TS system.  In other words, if values are passed to the dll from a
>system at the completion of a bar, how do you halt the System execution
>until the dll has finished processing the data?

The parts of your DLL that you expose to TS are standard C functions.  So
you call a function from your EasyLang and TS waits for your function to
return before it continues.  Your function returns data (generally) so it
has to wait to see what the result is.

david_wieringa@xxxxxxxx
Scottsdale, AZ