Off Topic: Help! Windows98 Problem

Hello All,

Apologies for the off topic.
I have also posted to the windows98 newsgroups for
help with no solutions yet.

My Win98 takes 30-45 sec to query the C drive
properties in Windows explorer.
Also, If you click on the edit menu in Windows
explorer it hangs for 45
seconds before the menu will display.

Other than this problem, the machine runs fine.

Tried Norton System Check. No problems found.

I have NO CONFLICTS in Device Mgr.

HP Pavillion 8396
450Mhz PII
256mb Ram
12 gig HD
Win98 se
Surfboard ISA 1 way cable internal NIC(this runs fine)
LynkSys PCI LNE100tx Fast Ethernet NIC(this also runs
fine)
Jaz PCI SCSI Host Adapter(this also runs fine)
I have a 3 puter LAN using a LynkSys Hub(no
server(this also runs fine))

I have tried every thing I can think of.
I had a problem like this on an other puter a few yrs
back. It turned out to be MS Fast Find(kill it!).
Don't have Fast find on this puter though.

I am totally baffled by this problem. Any suggestion
appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan C.