Complaints may help (was: WHEN WILL...)

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999 editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> This is about who will achieve something and who will not.  Complaints
> and bashing, even if correct, achieve nothing.

I would disagree. Here is the logic:

(1) There are MANY complaints about Omega on this list.

(2) As a result, it is clear to the casual reader that there are major
problems with Omega software.

(3) This will have a distinctly negative influence on how many sales
Omega can make, and the reputation of the company as a reliable software
producer.

(4) Omega realizes this, and will increase their efforts to make the
software better.

   (4a) Omega will first try to fix this with additional marketing, but
        at some point will conclude that funds to improve product will
        have a better payoff long term.

Given the above, I believe complaints *DO* help spur Omega to build
a better product, and are thus worthwhile to do.

Could you point out the flaw(s) that would completely invalidate the above
logic, and include an alternative chain of logic to show why complaining
does not help?

Larry