Re: MB our saviour

"Kent Rollins" <kentr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>Everyone wants free software but so few actually produce it...
>
>> I can't understand why you waste your valuable resources on writing
>> software when numerous people would help you.
>
>Linux was produced and is maintained by hackers who all have a general
>purpose interest in software.  Trading software has a much smaller following
>and only a small subset of that following is capable of programming at the
>level required to maintain a high end system.  If you want to help write a
>high end piece of trading software, there is already a group out there.  I
>can't remember the website right now, but I sure someone else can.  They
>bill themselves as the "Linux of Trading Software".  That iniative will not
>succeed because they don't have enough qualified people with spare time.
>Writing good software takes a long time and requires dedication and
>perserverance.  That's why TraderWare is not and should not be free...

Kent describes the situation pretty accurately.  I think the problem with
collaborative open-source trading software is that the prospective
developers do, in fact, expect payment.  Payment in the form of quality
code from fellow team members.  So far, in the initiative Kent mentions,
there seem to be two or three developers, all with fairly different
starting points, and forty or fifty enthusiasts with no coding ability
whatsoever.  It's hard, in an environment like that, for the developers
to see much potential payback.  So they push on alone...

Jim