Re: Y2k patch CANNOT be Y2k compliant - TS2000 also?

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 Peter2150@xxxxxxx wrote:

> > Another thought: Note that the date above requires 8 digits. Single
> >  precision is normally only 7 digits. If dates are read as numbers in Easy
> >  Language, it will *NOT* be possible to make EL Y2k compliant, simply
> >  because there are more digits in the YYYYMMDD format than can be
> >  represented by single precision.
>
> Don't think this is what single precision implies.   First date could be an
> integer, but from what I remember of my programming days,  we are talking
> about the number of decimal places.   The root number can still be quite large

I am referring to the precision of the number. Single usually implies a
largest positive number of 3.402823 E38. The E38 allows the number to be
large, but the precision is still limited to 6+1 digits. After about 7
digits, the rest are all zeros.

Larry