Re: Y2k patch CANNOT be Y2k compliant - TS2000 also?

Peter2150@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 99-07-12 06:37:42 EDT, lwright@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > Another thought: Note that the date above requires 8 digits. Single
> >  precision is normally only 7 digits. If dates are read as numbers in Easy
> >  Language, it will *NOT* be possible to make EL Y2k compliant, simply
> >  because there are more digits in the YYYYMMDD format than can be
> >  represented by single precision.
>
> Don't think this is what single precision implies.   First date could be an
> integer,

But it is not in Omega products, so I've been told.  It's a single
precison real.

> but from what I remember of my programming days,  we are talking
> about the number of decimal places.   The root number can still be quite large

You remember wrong.  Reals are stored in a binary equivalent of
0.1234567E+-x where x represents an integral power of ten.  The
location of the decimal point makes absolutely no difference.
You get about 7 decimal digits of precision without regard to the
location of the decimal point.

Rod