Re: TS2K - works

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Ullrich Fischer wrote:

> On the other hand, if OR could point to a workable solution to each problem
> as it comes up on this list -- (the ones relating to how slow things are on
> anything less than a 3-processor P-III-500/1024MB RAM WINNT machine would
> obviously have to be an exception until they can get to optimizing the new
> code, of course :) -- would counter a lot of the extremely negative
> postings that appear here.

And I, for one, would LOVE to see it!

> The current policy seems to be to send out
> individual responses to messages posted here to privately solve users'
> problems one at a time.

Divide and conquor. Also, they try to make sure users are dependent on
them alone (as with the everything-proprietary stuff).

> Each message from OR tech supp comes with the
> 'this message is only intended for the person it was sent to' legalese
> blurb which has given me pause when I've wanted to share some of the quite
> useful insights that I've received that way.

Just a bit of intimidation to reinforce the above comment...  Personally,
I *really* object when Omega gets in the way of one user trying to help
another!

> It would make more sense for
> techsupp to be very open about such messages and post them here as well as
> in the faq on www.omegaresearch.com ,  especially if several people have
> posted a related problem on this list.

Agreed, but Omega's aim is not to be as helpful as possible.

> Not as fast as TS4, but on the plus side, it hasn't crashed on me
> in over two weeks, something I could never say about TS4.

Thanks for the report. I have TS4 running on a dedicated machine with
almost nothing else installed. After much tweaking, it will run for a long
time (possibly several weeks?) *IF* I don't do anything except run data &
studies in RT. It has run this way as long as 3+ weeks without crashing.
I'm not sure how long it will run, because I normally shut down over the
weekend to do a full backup.

If I do a lot of EL code development, it has a tendency to be more
unstable; I do have crashes around once a week in that mode.

The dedicated, uncluttered machine made a great difference.

Larry