Re: TS2K - works

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: TS2K - works
  • From: Ullrich Fischer <uf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 09:55:39 -0700

On the other hand, if OR could point to a workable solution to each problem
as it comes up on this list -- (the ones relating to how slow things are on
anything less than a 3-processor P-III-500/1024MB RAM WINNT machine would
obviously have to be an exception until they can get to optimizing the new
code, of course :) -- would counter a lot of the extremely negative
postings that appear here.   The current policy seems to be to send out
individual responses to messages posted here to privately solve users'
problems one at a time.    Each message from OR tech supp comes with the
'this message is only intended for the person it was sent to' legalese
blurb which has given me pause when I've wanted to share some of the quite
useful insights that I've received that way.   It would make more sense for
techsupp to be very open about such messages and post them here as well as
in the faq on www.omegaresearch.com ,  especially if several people have
posted a related problem on this list.    It's not like OR is in a position
to hide the existence of this list from its pool of potential customers.

There's nothing worse than a long list of unanswered complaints on a public
forum for undermining the image of super software.  Anyone with the minimal
insight needed to search the web using a few not all that well chosen
keywords is going to find this list more likely sooner than
later.    Probably less than .1% of the readers of this list post.  The
rest are reading and forming their opinion of OR's products based on the
contents of this list.     It's like the old Monty Python Chocolate Shop
skit.    Sales will plummet once the buying public finds out about the
concealed spring in the 'chocolate surprise" confection.   Now that we have
the internet and list like this, FUD just ain't gonna cut it
anymore.    The truth is out there and accessible to everyone on the
'net.   The only viable option for a vendor of any product is to ensure
that the truth about his product is positive.

All that said, TS2Ki does seem to (finally) be working for me.  I would
never try running it under WIN98 even if someone offered to pay me, but
under WINNT with a P-233 and 256 MB of RAM, it performs reasonably
well.   Not as fast as TS4, but on the plus side, it hasn't crashed on me
in over two weeks, something I could never say about TS4.

-uf