Re: PS2k SP2 Update, Tick Counts and Rant

>>  1. Will cable modems represent an improvement and elimate the need for
> > me to get a high speed port?
>
> Depends, if this an external modem it will make your need for
> high speed port even more urgent since the data has to get somehow
> into your computer. If it is an internal modem you don't need any
> port at all.

I'm currently a Cox@xxxx subscriber.  I have had the service for
apporximately 2 months.  After making some recommended registry tweaks,
I have achieved download speeds of anywhere from 0.25 MB/S (read
MegaBytes/S)  to 1.0 MB/S (very much dependent on the site).  The 1.0
MB/S is extermely rare.  In fact, I believe this figure occured when I
was downloading Internet Explorer.  There are some rumors that @Home
'caches' some popular sites.  Hence, 0.25 MB to 0.4 MB/s is the most
likely the speed that you will encounter.

As far as reliability is concerned, well that depends on where you live.
Here in Phoenix, it has been acceptable for most parts.  However, as you
read the cable modem newsgroup, the complaints have been loud and
plenty.  Interestingly enough, some of these complaints are from some
Phoenix residents.

Hope this helps.