Re: Teaching yourself programming?

When I started programming in school we had to learn 6502 machine
language first. When they finally gave us the assembler and I didn't
have to count the bytes for the jumps anymore I thought I was in
heaven.

Today VB's or Delphi's object orientated code is not very useful to
learn programming IMO. However starting just on a theoretical basis
with something like Algol is good for discipline put bad for
motivation.

If I had to teach someone I would take one of the old Borland Pascal
compilers (pre Objects) to teach since it is a structured language
which does not allow dirty code like Basic and still offers enough
power so that the programmer sees some rewards for his learning.

Furthermore EL is modelled upon Pascal which would make it first
choice for TS users.

Gerrit Jacobsen