Re: Teaching yourself programming?

> Where would one start with teaching yourself programming?  I'd like to
> learn. Nothing too fancy now, but the basics. Where/what to start with?
> VB, C++? I'm starting at basically ground zero.

As Rob Lake pointed out, you really should start with a *programming*
book, rather than just jumping in with a language and banging away.
When I was in school, back when computers ate punched cards and
freshmen had to do most of their work at night, behind everyone else,
they wouldn't let anyone work with "real" languages like Fortran
until you'd had a year of a teaching language like Algol.

That said, I still think the old K&R "The C Programming Language" is
an excellent teaching resource, leading you gently from the beginning
steps, using good examples, right through what can be done with
programming.  I'd strongly suggest starting with a simple language
like C rather than jumping right into C++, as it avoids an entire
level of complexity regarding inheritance, etc.

Keep in mind that Visual Basic is a Microsoft proprietary language.
Depending on your future plans or opportunities, you may find that
proprietary situation to be limiting.

A couple of general references:

All the books published by O'Reilly & Associates are excellent.
Check their catalog and if you see something related to your
interest, you can be confident that it will be among the best written
material you can find on that interest.

--> O'Reilly & Associates: <http://www.ora.com>

For concise reference guides to various languages and environments
the offerings of Specialized Systems Consultants (SSC) are without peer.
Once you've made the first pass through your subject and are starting
to actually bang out code, trying to get something done, the SSC
reference cards are invaluable.  They're inexpensive, too.

--> SSC: <http://www.ssc.com>

Jim