Re: Teaching yourself programming?

<<Visual Basic a few times and found it drives me nuts just trying to
get the essentials down

I just started learning VB about six weeks ago and am amazed at both the
power and the ease of using VB - even with my limited knowledge.  The
biggest problem I had and I assume you are having is converting from a
linear mode of programming to an event-based mode of thinking.  The book I
used and would recommend is Peter Wright's "Beginning Visual Basic 6" by
Wrox Press.  I wouldn't say that is will make you a "competent pro" when you
complete it - but it will give you a very good handle on the fundamentals.

Tom Lisk