RE: LCD monitors

"Brian Massey" <bnm03@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, I've found that graphics cards make a huge difference in
> color quality and resolution.  I dont know why exactly so I won't
> comment but I like the S3 Virge, Matrox Mellenium.

The graphics card contains the video circuitry that creates the
signal displayed by the monitor.  Better-quality video circuitry will
result in cleaner signal transitions, sharper images, etc.  Sort of
like the difference between a weak TV signal and a DVD disk.

I *think* that's probably only true for CRT monitors, though.  I
believe LCD's don't actually take a traditional video feed, but just
accept a digital signal and display it using on-board circuitry.

Alexander Levitin <alevitin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are two types of those monitors. One called simple LCD and
> my is active matrix TFT. What is the difference between those types
> you need to find out from computer magazines (I am challenged in
> that department), but I found the big difference in display
> quality. TFT is the best for charts.

There are two basic classes of LCD displays:  passive matrix and
active matrix.  There are many synonyms for these, e.g. TFT (which
stands for thin-film transistor, if I remember right) is an active
technology.

Active matrix displays produce a dramatically brighter, sharper image
than passive matrix displays.  They also have a much wider viewing
angle -- passive screens have a fairly narrow viewing angle, and the
brightness (not as high as active to start with) drops off
dramatically if you move your head to the side.

The tradeoff, natch, is that active screens are dramatically more
expensive.  :-)  They also take a bit more power, but that's only an
issue for laptops.

Go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City and look at their laptop
computers.  Ask a salesdroid to point out an active & passive
display.  You'll be able to see the difference.  If you're going to
pop for a pricey LCD display for improved image & reduced eyestrain,
I think you'll definitely want an active-matrix display.

Gary