Re: TS & RAM under 95/98

mguess <mguess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All I really want to do is speed up TS, especially while other
> apps are occassionally open. Is it true I can install another 64Mb
> of RAM & it'll be "seen" w/out having to upgrade to 98?

Yes, W95 can use the full 128MB of RAM.  *SOME* older motherboards
cannot fully take advantage of memory beyond 64MB, and in fact may
run slower with additional memory.

Here is a writeup of the problem:
http://www.frii.com/~rjn/computer/cache64m.txt

He lists some links to cache-test facilities.  If those aren't valid
any more, you might have to contact the MB manufacturer.

However, since you're using a recent non-Intel chip, this is probably
not a problem for you.  If your MB supports 100MHz, it almost
certainly is current enough to cache 128MB of RAM.

I'd listen to your tech.  Avoid W98 if you don't absolutely need it.
If you want smarter multitasking, go to WinNT instead, but realize it
will be more of a job to move from 95 to NT than from 95 to 98.

Gary