Re: TS2k, no problems yet

I sent this e-mail to Omega today, I'm posting it here as a caution to
those thinking about using TS2Ki for real time trading:

*********************************
To: Omega Tech Support
Subject: chart rescaling
From: ribau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 21:31:37 GMT

Today I wanted to change the scale on 15min DELL from 35min/48max to
39min/49max toward the end of the session. The hour glass started spinning,
and spinning, and spinning...Win98 Resource Meter dropped into the yellow
zone...then fell to zero as the Low Resources message hit the screen,
"Ninety percent or more of your system resources are in use...to free up
sys res, quit any programs that you are using...or your computer may stop
responding."

The only program running was TS2Ki...and it did stop responding, as did the
machine. Got the usual "SERVER caused an invalid page fault in module..."
"Orgtcc has performed an illegal op..." "Ornews has perf an illegal op..."
"Orquote has perf illegal op..." "Ts32 has perf illegal op..." machine
would not respond to Ctrl/Alt/Del, time to pull the plug...

After cleaning up and rebooting, TS2Ki did the rescale in less than one
second. The market had closed by then.

Intel 266MHz P2 with 128Mb SDRAM
DataManager setup per Omega web, BMI cable
GlobalServer currently 52 symbols, build 512

15 WorkSpaces open with 18 intraday charts, 16 EOD charts, Tracking Center,
two Quote pages, and NewsMonitor

another topic:
How can the GlobalServer be made to start up maximized? I have the shortcut
properties set to "run: maximized," but it still starts up as a window and
requires a mouse click to maximize. Why are there no icons in GlobalServer
for quick launching of the charting module?

yet another:
Since TS2Ki is not usable for real time trading in the current version, I
respectfully request an extension of another 30 days on my 30 day money
back guarantee.

Thank you

*******************************

OH, and here's Omega's reply:

*******************************
> The errors you received have been reported before and we find that
> rebooting and if  possible a thorough
> Scandisk and Disk Defrag take care of the problem/
>
> The Server does not have an option to start maximized, it was not included
> in the design.
>
> For ans extension on your free trial you will need to contact your Sales
> Person.
>
> If you have any other questions or comments please feel free to contact
> our Customer Support Department at
> (305) 551-9964 and it would be our pleasure to assist you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert New
> Omega Research
> Customer Support
>
> Omega Research, the publishers of award-winning TradeStation and
> OptionStation, is committed to helping you succeed in your trading
> endeavors. That's why we produce seminars, conferences and workshops...

extensive three page ad deleted

So in the middle of the day while the markets are open, the official Omega
Research fix is to reboot the trading machine and run scan disk and disk
defrag. Did I read that right? Why wasn't I warned?