Re: Automated S&P Order Entry

An automatic trade over the Web is, at the basest level, nothing more than
a set of HTML messages sent to/from the broker's Web server.  What I
have to say won't help most of you, for I trade via a Mac and don't
use any Omega products.

Using AppleScript and a tiny application called "Web Miner", I wrote
a script to download my portfolio quotes and put the returned information
(in HTML) into a date/time stamped folder.  Each download is about 10 lines
of script.

I then use another tiny application called "Chron" to trigger this script
every N minutes (N=15 at the moment).

The latest MacOS has the capability to attach a folder to a script so
that whenever a file is added to a folder, the script runs.  That script
will trigger my models.  What I'm working on now is the final leg of
the relay ... the model will return a single line of results that will
invoke yet another script, which sends out a "POST" command to the
broker's Web site, initiating a transaction.

So, the answer is:  The pieces have been tested and the prototype has
been in development for all of about 10 days.  Stay tuned for further
results.

By the way, it is VERY important to select the correct broker.  Some,
like eSchwab, would not sustain an open Web window for more than 10
minutes  --  and like certain others mentioned in this group  --- would
not even listen to the fact that an open Web window on my machine consumes
absolutely ZERO resources on their machine.  Such are the back-room
mentalities.  I now use eDreyfus.

If you are interested in rolling your own autotrade system, give me
an e-shout.  I'll tell you to buy a basic book on HTML and find something
that lets you script on a Wintel machine.

Cheers,
Rob Lake
rbl@xxxxxxxxxxx