Re: NT problem

Robert Pisani wrote:

> When I tried to install firewall software SyGate on my internet machine, NT
> crashed and would not come back b/c SyGate had locked some system files, so
> I had to remove the machine from the network and reinstall NT, but the
> reinstalled NT is somehow corrupt and behaves strangely.  I have a
> well-working NT on another machine on the network.  Can I get a clean NT by
> deleting all NT files on my internet machine machine and replacing them
> with all the NT files from the working NT?

Getting  _ALL_  the NT files from the working NT is the problem.

It's too late in your case, but for others I'll ask, did you try
to use the Emergency Repair Disks (you did make them didn't you?)
to repair your system?

A few days ago I saw a tip that could apply in your case, if you
have sufficient disk space on your working NT.  Quoting the tip:

There are some pretty crafty Administrators out there!  What they
are doing is this:  They have another install of Windows NT from
which they do a complete backup of their working system [ie a second
copy of NT installed, but without most apps, etc].  They have loaded
their Tape Device drivers or CD Writer and backup software.  When
they boot to this installation, the original boot is dormant.  All
files are closed which gives them the ability to make a perfect image
of the WINNT directory and Program Files and all the rest.  They do
not worry about getting the system back perfectly when an
unrecoverable crash occurs.  They simply boot to the second install
and restore the complete system.

Good luck.

Rod