2000i and DDE

Tom Cathey and List,

As a follow-up to the discussion about discontinuing DDE links in 2000i:
I just recieved an email from tech support that states DDE has been
replaced by COM technology.
Tech support states:
"The DDE Link to Excel has been replaced by COM in Version 2000I. All
Omega
Research products are built using Component Object Model (COM)
technology.
Put into simple terms, this technology enables us and other software
developers to give you access to multiple applications via the same
interface. What this means for you, the user, is that: Without leaving
your Omega Research Desktop, you can open a document
from any other application that also supports COM. For example,
Microsoft Office products support COM, so you can open a Word document
or Excel spreadsheet in your Omega Research Desktop right next to your
chart window. You can run different Omega Research products together in
your Omega Research Desktop. For example, if you install TradeStation
and OptionStation, you can open an OptionStation window next to your
TradeStation chart window.
Third-party solution providers will be able to provide applications that
communicate seamlessly with your Omega Research product, and that you
can open in your Omega Research Desktop. For example, conceivably, a
solution provider can write an application to read the orders generated
by the system and provide automated electronic order entry. Again, you
can run this application right in your Omega Research Desktop.
You can embed any Omega Research window in another application. For
example, you can insert a TradeStation Chart window into a Microsoft
Word document, and have it update on a real-time/delayed basis, just
like it would in your Omega Research Desktop! When you open another
application's window in your Omega Research Desktop, the other
application's window is referred to as an active or embedded document,
and it is considered to be embedded in the Desktop. We refer to the
window in which the embedded document appears as an embedded document
window.
You can use the API included on the CD to possibly create an application

that will do this and pull the data into Excel."

Ok, that sounds fine, but I am not a COM programmer. I just simply want
a real time link from 2000i to an Excel spreadsheet(s) I have written,
and have the spreadsheet update as each new tick comes into the Global
Server like it did with DDE in TS 4. Does this mean that instead of
simply entering a DDE formula into the Excel cell I will now have to
hire a COM programmer to write a routine? I sure hope not.
Thanks,
Eddie