using the AIM program to buy IBM stocks recently

Below is a hypothetical example of buying IBM stocks recently.

Section One shows using AIM (original version) by the book, without regard
to timing, and buying near the very peak (on 99-01-20 @ $200, rounded).

Section Two shows using AIM judiciously, and varying some of the parameters
in his variables.  Noticeable is the application of a simple 21-day moving
average for timing in recent buy (buy on close when close crosses over the
21-day ma: this happened on 99-02-22, at $178).  Second Two is slightly
optimized, but not much (more like changing the parameters at will).

Both sections start with $10,000 and will average down until all money is
used up.  (Commission is omitted.)

		SECTION ONE			SECTION TWO

Trade#		Buy @	Qty 	$total		Buy @	Qty	$total
------		-----	---	------		-----	---	------
1		200	25	5,000		178	11	1,958
2		175	 1	  175		 73	14	1,022
3		170	 1	  170		 48	23	1,104
4		165	 2  	  330		 33	36	1,188
5		160	 2	  320		 23	61	1,403
6		155	 1	  155		 18	73	1,314
7		150	 2	  300		 13   133	1,729
8		145	 2	  290		  8	35	  200
9		140	 3	  420
10		135	 2	  270
11		130	 3	  390
12		125	 3	  375
13		120	 4    	  480
14		115	 4	  460
15		110	 5	  550
16		105	 3	  315
			---	-----			---	------
total			63    10,000			386	 9,998
			==    ======			===	======
average p/s	159				 26

Despite everything, it is still very true that it will hurt emotionally a
great deal for a real trade, to see the portfolio value drop by that much
(i.e., if the IBM prices reaches that low).

As I say, this is only a hypotethical situation and only for illustration
purposes.  More important, as suggested by one member, is whether one has
the stomach and stamina to actually adhere to the trading rules.  Frankly,
I don't know if I have the guts or not...!!??!!

Regards,

Wong