Re[2]: Feed 2nd puter?

I have a 9 pin modem data splitter from B&B Electronics, 29.95.
http://www.bb-elec.com
Part num. 9PMDS

Subject: Re: Feed 2nd puter?
Author: RobertBu
Date:  2/6/99 8:00 PM

This question comes up every couple of months.  Below is an
old email I've saved since a two computer setup is in my
future.

== Rob ==

-------------------------------

Hi James and list,

I am replying in place of another member of our small,tightly
knit,Family group of market traders-Not verbatim-who is not available
right now.
He relayed that>>

I called the ## you listed,and the person there had to tediously look
up the item you described--I think it's a 3 way splitter that requires
(4) separate ""cables"",ie 3 to 3 computers,and 1 to the source,-this
was gleaned after some discussion on how it was to be used.Furthermore,
it's a 25 pin thing,where the original application Might want a 9 pin,
so there are adapters involved.The initial cost of the 'modem splitter'
is $39.95,add in all the cables,etc,and it's costly.
Why not call "Black Box Corporation" at 1 800 552 6816,and ask to be put
on their mailing list,you should also receive a 25% discount coupon for
your order.
Originally I thought the request was for a way to split the signal to
(2) computers,if so,their custom cable order number is #CBCC46560,this
is a 'Y cable,db9'.The cost without the discount is $24.90=shipping,and
is 10ft in length,----just plug them in.
My understanding is that they will make just about ANY type cable one
might want-so,say 6 puters? of course one would have to pay for this:)

Also,this family trading member mentioned that he had read that
someone,or firm had posted that there "HAS TO BE" some sort of
thingamajig put in the line,otherwise the data would collide,or
something--"Not true",at least for 2 puters------maybe for that data
feed via cable a 'signal booster' Might be warranted in the first place,
probably available rather reasonably at places like 'Radio Shack'.