Re: Pierre's EL vs VB

Dans un courrier daté du 29/10/98 07:10:09 Heure d7iver Pari9 Madrid,
Alain.Jossart@xxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

> Pierre,
>
>  My comment is possibly the most achieved garbage ever written,
IT IS, as this one.

>never  forget to remove the modem cable before smoking the carpet, however...

Never forget to buy a copy of the software when you want to comment its
behaviour.
I suppose that you are the same "Alain Jossart" that recommend stupid
shareware software on a french list, and never forget to criticize
TradeStation without knowing it ( the name, maybe)

>  It was not pretending that you have written a bad EL optimization, just
>  that you didn't even consider that "optimization" could be qualified
>  "complication" when looked at with non Omega glasses.

You should read again my initial message.
I was pointing out that someone able to do mistakes with a simple language
like EL (Pascal), will certainly do  bigger mistakes with VB.
The fact is that you were caught into the trap that you have YOURSELF built.
Your comment were not wise, and it has been demonstrated here that you were
wrong.
The "optimization" that proposed unfolds calculation time by 4.
It's not due to the language, but to the knowledge of the language.
If you know VB at the same level that you master EL, you will do the same
stupid things.

Useless to replace the problem into an other context.
Once you will admit your error, you may expect some progress. Still a long
way...

>  Say, if VB (or even a TA language like FlexSoft TAS) can already formulate
>  your very elementary sample more directly in the simplest and most
efficient
>  manner, how is your illustration supposed to be supportive of the
completely
>  arbitrary stance that : "VB will not be more suitable because it has more
>  power,  and EL is already complex for the trader".

You may try assembly language too.
It's even more powerful that VB.
Best suited for the average trader, I suppose ?

>  The only demonstration you provided is that EL is a questionable trader
>  programming language.  The rest has no substance. It's a one line technical
magazine article
>  containing : " The editor's choice is EL ! VB is too powerful then to
> complex.  Period.". Very valuable, thanks.

Do not use EL and give us a rest.
This list is named Omega List.
Not:
 VB_newbies_ List_and_EL_illiterate_List_in_the _same
_time_but_I_know_anything_to _it_List

>  All in all, it was possibly the worst idea to even pay attention to one
more
>  magistral prof stance... with  no proof
>
>  -- Alain

That's right.
You  still have a LONG, long way before posting something making sense to EL
users...

-Pierre Orphelin