Re: FileAppend Columns

Unfortuantely, you have revealed one of the more annoying limitations of the
FileAppend command.  You can use the undocumented TEXT command which allows
you to specify decimals both right and left but it can cause errors at times.

FileAppend( "C:\filename", TEXT( C:3:2, nextval:3:2, ...)+newline);

At 05:39 PM 10/27/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I use FileAppend a lot.  The TS 4 feature is clumsy, though, since it
>does not include automatic spacing as with the print log.  At least I
>don't think it does.  I have been doing the following to get columns to
>line up vertically in the file output:
>
>FileAppend(c:\ ..... , NewLine
> + NumtoStr(Date,0) + " "
> + Spaces(5 - StrLen(NumtoStr(Close,2))) + NumtoStr(Close,2)
> + Spaces(5 - StrLen(<next_value> ,2))) + NumtoStr(Close,2)
> + Spaces(5 - StrLen(<next_value> ,2))) + NumtoStr(Close,2)
>
>The theory is to compute the spaces needed to pad a field from the
>next field based on the number of characters in the field.
>But first you convert the field to a string.  Then you print the value,
>AFTER converting it to a string (again).
>
>Is this more work than necessary ?
>
>don

William Brower
Publisher of TS Express