Re: [Fwd: server /charting problem with bad ticks]

Once again-- Here is an overview of the process:

It's not a question of whether or not the tick is good or bad-- if it's
good, it is processed normally and you continue on to bag your normal
$100,000 profit for the day.  Assume that it's bad, for this example:

First of all the tick *DOESN'T* plot correctly on your chart-- If it's zero,
it plots as zero and you must do the "right-click edit" thing to fix it.
After this, your real-time chart is accurate--  This example assumes
**ONLY** the first tick was bad--  Sometimes, subsequent ticks are bad
(particularly at the opening of the Market-- especially NASDAQ high fliers)
and this will create additional havoc with your RT charts.

The server takes the same bad tick --uncorrected-- and proceeds to store it
and use its value as the basis for the next 60 ticks (actually, it's
probably 63 ticks, but why confuse the issue further).

The server doesn't store the next ticks as they are received-- (but they
**ARE** used to generate your RT charts) -- it calculates the difference
between the new ticks and the original tick in the block and uses the result
of this calculation to generate the value of the next 60+ ticks in your
database-- If the original tick was accurate, there is no problem.  If the
original tick was bad-- the next 60+ ticks are based on this erroneous first
tick and stored in your database that way.

If you re-generate your chart by using real-time data-- such as scrolling
your work-spaces using the Page Up/Page Down keys-- your charts are
re-generated from the data in your Ram --which you corrected-- so the charts
are accurate.

If you generate a completely new chart --such as, by clicking on the chart
icon-- the data is drawn from the file on your hard-drive which has the
erroneous data-- the chart will be corrupted.

Currently, the only way to fix the corrupted data is to edit the first tick
--after the close of the Market-- to a correct value-- or some value near
the accurate value-- such as, the value of the previous tick.  TS will then
re-calculate the subsequent ticks in the block and they will be accurate.

If you delete the first tick in the block (as opposed to editing it), you're
SOL because TS needs this tick as a basis for calculation of the next 60+
ticks.  In this case, you will need to manually edit each of the subsequent
60+ ticks to correct them.

Hope this makes sense...

Moral: Don't even attempt a discussion at this level with someone named
Melody  :)