Re: Searching the Starr report

jrehler@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Sometimes leadership and morality
> > have different paths so decide you wont a saint or a leader.
>
> Again, you've got to be kidding. Based on your remark we should elect
> the likes of Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, Saddam, etc.

We're dealing with different sorts of "wrongs" here.  The leaders you cite were/are
infamous for their atrocities.  Stuff like extramarital sex cannot even be defended
as wrong anyway, other than some people disapprove of this commonplace act, which
means nothing.  As far as his alleged perjury goes, this is pretty trite in
comparison with the slaughter of thousands or even millions, which these men have
been responsible for.  The main issue here is that we choose our political leaders
for their ability to carry out the duties of their office in an acceptable fashion,
and whatever they do in their private life outside this role isn't relevant to
this, and shouldn't concern any intelligent person.  If real acts of wrong fulness
*are* proven (and not just conjecture - a conviction), then we must weigh the
sanction of removal from office with the seriousness of the deed - at worst,
anything he's alleged to have done is pretty trivial, and not worthy of impeachment
IMO.

Regards,
A.J.