Re: Off topic: Spammers

"Gaius Marius" <maximus@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>How do I stop these spammers? I've sent the information one gets from them
>in the properties sections of the spam to their respective ISP (in hope of
>getting their account cancel) but some of these assholes are really good at
>hiding their mailing addresses. What do I do? Change the name of this
>account and never post again? Or is there some software filter that will
>eliminate all emails from people whose email addres I don't specify?

The best filtering software is Procmail, which runs on Unix.  Most ISPs,
at least those that run their shops on Unix, have it available.  It's
pretty easy to filter out most spammers this way, though you do need
to spend some time and effort building the filters based on the spam
you receive.  Actually I believe the vast majority of spam comes from
a few fairly well-known sites, as all responsible ISPs don't allow it,
so it quickly becomes obvious who does.

If you're ambitious and want to help "get the bastards" there are
various faqs to help get up to speed learning how.  You need to learn
how to get full email headers, particularly the Received: lines, to
forward to an ISP's abuse department.  Check out the newsgroup, and
its FAQ:

    news.admin.net-abuse.misc

which has lots of resident anti-spam experts.  There's even an anti-spam
mailing list, where folks trade tips and give heads-up on new spams.

Have fun!

Jim