Re: CX (Cantor Exchange)

  • To: Mark Brown <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: CX (Cantor Exchange)
  • From: Timothy Morge <tmorge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 08:43:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi folks...

I just talked to several other large portfolio traders. They said that while
Cantor's contract was up and trading, it was a very slow opening. They said that
the trading hours, for now, are 6:30 to 4:30 CST, which really doesn't do much
to the CBOT in terms of competition [in fact, project A goes to much longer
hours and near-full coverage shortly]. The tick size is 1/64 and they are
currently only offering delivery months of Dec and March. Yesterday's trading
was really slow and thin: approx 600 contracts in the first hour and then single
digits for the entire reast of the session. Prices are very wide, as you'd
expect in a thinly traded contract.

I got a set of information sheets from my friend that runs the brokerage firm I
use. I think the most striking thing in their thoughts was that they hoped this
new contract would be a 24 hour market in a bond contract that would be used to
hedge exposures when the CBOT is not pit trading--in otherwods, an electronic
MidAm-like electronic bond contract, ten year note, five year note and 2 year
note.

They currently get their real-time prices on CQG and Knight-Ridder and Reuters.
They did not know if BMI and other vendors had picked up the data stream
changes, but assumed that if the contract got more active, they would.

They assume that the CBOT will now make project A 24 hours a day, eventually
adding electronic trading while pit trading goes on. They are faxing me the
Cantor Fitz materials concerning the new exchange and contract. If it shows
anything peculiar, I'll add it to the list.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Tim Morge