Re: Portfolio Trading and trade allocations

Tim,

In Watergate, Deepthroat said to follow the money.

Follow the drawdown.

 When I create a diversified system that is designed to trade multiple
markets I focus on a size or quantity of trading that produces a level of
risk ( drawdown) that I can tolerate (say,about 30%).  Unless the system is
miraculous(overfitted), the size of positions traded dictated by tolerable
drawdowns will make any discussion of margin moot. A margin of 10-30% of
equity will result. I look at this figure at the very end of the process and
then it is only out of curiosity.

IMHO, the only people who watch margin exposures closely are traders trying
maximize their thrill exposure (and blow out risk) and brokers trying to
maximize their commissions.  The sole exception being arbitrage type trading
where cross exchange margins don't accurately reflect the true risk of the
trades.

If politics called for a 50% increase or decrease in margins across the
board, and markets had the same volatility, it shouldn't affect your
trading.

The harder part of the job is once you have created your comparable risk
units to decide how to "allocate" amongst them. Clearly, there will be some
markets which are more attractive than others. Cross correlation of returns,
liquidity, risk adjusted returns, safety and ease of use of exchanges will
all impact how to decide to trade more or less from your risk unit table
(which I see as a good starting point).  Unfortunately, some of the issues
don't lend themselves to quantification. Even when you invert the matrices
to evaluate the correlations and do a lot of number crunching, unless you
are trading single accounts of greater than $5 million the rounding issues
in a portfolio of  more than 25 markets becomes a real problem.

 At the end of the day, I don't believe that there is an elegant solution to
the allocation problem. I have created complicated rating systems to judge
this beauty contest taking into account my tastes and given a greater share
to those that scored well.  In the end, however, it made me feel more
confident that I have systematized it but I could have done it in an hour
with a hand held calculator and gotten similar results.

Jim

Jim McConnon
jmcconno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"This is the life you have chosen" - The Godfather