RE: Portfolio Trading and trade allocations

Timothy,

I've done much work in this area. The foundation of my work has been from Vince, The Mathematics of Money Management.

Generate normalized daily equity curves for each market system.

Calculate the mean (arithmetic) daily return for each market system. Calculate the covariance of all market system combinations.

Use the principles of Modern Portfolio Theory to construct an portfolio that yields the best portfolio return for a given level of portfolio variance. Or, if you really want your money to grow fast, choose a portfolio that is geometrically optimal.

*** Using MPT for portfolio construction is only valid to the extent that the constituent asset's mean-variances are stable in the future!***

Hence, the bulk of system design effort and the measurement of the quality thereof should be focused on characterizing the stability of the return distributions in the future, not principally on optimizing the mean return of the past data which I suspect is what most people do.

Scott Hoffman
Issaquah, WA