Re: Trading as a way to financial success (a reply)

At 7:28 PM -0400 8/3/98, Trader J, or Omega Man, (or whatever) wrote:

>I tell young traders:  Work on your automation/systems.  Don't buy mine.
>Build your own.  Know which way you want to trade - then automate
>everything.  Decide what you want the machine to do, and make it work for
>you.  When it becomes entirely machine against machine, the best programmer
>wins.

You got it man!

I worked in the field of designing software tools used by designers of
microchips. For many years, a really good chip designer could run rings
around the best software systems. They were "creative", had "intuition",
and could see things that the machine couldn't see. Then it was
neck-and-neck for a while as the humans fought to stay ahead.

Then, the software moved ahead and now there is no looking back. No company
would ever consider designing a complex chip by hand anymore. Now, software
will win by at least an order of magnitude.

The same happened with mechanical design.

It is only a matter of time with trading. Some of the brightest software
guys I had quit and went to work on Wall Street where they were paid
ridiculous sums. They are given supercomputers to play with and treated
like gurus.

The key is that software can continue to accumulate knowledge over time.
Each new person who works on a program adds new features to what already
works. It only gets better over time. Whereas people retire and die and
take their secrets to the grave with them, and each new generation largely
has to start over.

Why do you think there is always such a shortage of computer programmers?

"When it becomes entirely machine against machine, <and it will soon>, the
best programmer wins."

Bob Fulks