RE: Trading as a way to financial success (a reply)

At 6:01 PM -0400 8/3/98, Steven Buss wrote:

>Suffice to say that the markets are fractal.  But I have no idea whether
>different timeframes have PRECISELY the same structure.  It seems to me that
>it would be surprising if they had PRECISELY the same structure.  Maybe the
>question is really whether they have a different enough structure to take
>into consideration for trading.  The good news is that this is an empirical
>question.

I agree that most markets have fractal characteristics but they also have
characteristics unique to different time frames.

For example, look at a daily chart of the S&P cash index. You can easily
see that local lows tend to occur about 10 bars apart.

Now look at a 45 min chart of the same market (9 times the resolution). Do
lows occur 10 bars apart? Nope. More like 45 bars apart which is near the
same dates/times they appear on the daily chart.

I think random behavior tends to be fractal and most tradable behavior
tends to be time related. So trading systems probably have to be designed
with a specific time compression in mind.

Bob Fulks