Re: Attitudes towards Omega Research

pgamble@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The attitudes towards Omega displayed by some are absolutely
> pathetic. So far as I can see, you are depending on their product
> to make your living. So have some respect for them.They built it;
> I just can't stand this constant whining. Those who are doing it,
> grow up. You sound just like spoilt kids, bellyaching that their
> parents won't do even more for them.

You seem to misunderstand some key points:

   1) If no one had respect for what Omega should be able to do, they would
      not bother to complain.  I complain because I beleive Omega can fix the
      problem but they lead me to believe it's not important to them.
   2) "They built it; you did not" - that's why I want them to fix it!
   3) "You are depending on their product to make a living" - That's exactly
      why some people are concerned.  As far as I am aware, I may be mistaken,
      Omega has not said the initial release of TS5 will be y2k compliant.
      With all due respect to Miles Dunbar, I don't give a rip if some people
      have a y2k compliant Beta.  I care if the TS5 they are going to ask me
      to spend money on will be y2k compliant - initial release, not in the
      some ethereal future release.

Would you feel the same if you relied on Windows being necessary to provide
your family income but it was already malfunctioning and you knew its going
to get worse and Microsoft wants you to buy Win98 with all the same problems
and some vague commitment that they will fix it some day?  Because that's the
situation some Omega customers are in when it comes to collecting 2000 and
beyond contract data.

With all due respect to Pierre, I don't give a rip if he has discovered a
workaround.  I don't give a rip because as far as I am aware, Omega has not
supported him on this issue.  I don't know the full implications of what he
proposed but I do know that Omega has not suggested we do that.  Maybe it's
okay, maybe it's not.  But Omega hasn't even bothered to tell us.  In fairness
to them, maybe they are not sure yet and they are investigating.

This is not whining.  To some people it is very serious business and they
have made a commitment to Omega products and not rely on them.  They are
concerned because now they have this reliance, Omega seems not to care about
a serious defficiency in the software they provided.  This is not necessasrily
and easy commitment for Omega users to back out of and Omega is leaving them
in the dark with, evidentally, very little concern.

Chris Norrie